The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors has provided an explanation for the decision to call off its 17-day statewide strike that began on July 26, 2023.
On Saturday, Dr. Emeka Orji, President of NARD, told reporters that the strike had been called off as a result of major actions taken by the Federal Government to meet the physicians’ requests.
According to Mr. Orji, the NARD National Executive Council made the decision to call off the strike since the government has begun to address some of their concerns.
“We met with Senate President Godswill Akpabio on Tuesday at the villa, and we saw that they were eager to accept our demands. Therefore, in the interest of the people and the nation, we must call off the strike.
“For now, the government has released the 2023 Medical Residency Training Fund, and has started work on the circular on one-for-one replacement because they sent a letter to the Chief Medical Directors to provide some documents, and some CMDs have sent it the documents required, so we hope that the one-for-one replacement of doctors will take effect soon.
There’s No Plan To Owe December Salary – FG To Civil Servants
“The circular on one-for-one replacement would address the manpower shortage and hopefully , this will take effect in the next two weeks.”
The reports that members of NARD suspended its indefinite strike on Friday night after the NEC deliberated on their demands and the efforts the government are making to meet them
Hence, the doctors are directed to resume on Saturday, by 8 am, while they will review the progress made in two weeks.
The doctors embarked on an indefinite industrial action on July 26, to press home their demands.
The doctors are demanding the immediate payment of the 2023 Medical Residency Training Fund, the immediate release of the circular on one-for-one replacement, the payment of skipping arrears, the upward review of the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure in line with full salary restoration to the 2014 value of CONMESS, the payment of the arrears of consequential adjustment of minimum to the omitted doctors, the reversal of the downgrading of the membership certificate by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, among others.
Orji had earlier told Reports that of the release of the circular for one-for-one replacement of clinical staff, and the payment of the 2023 Medical Residency Training Fund were the minimum conditions to suspend the indefinite strike.
Follow us on Facebook
Post Disclaimer
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.