Brazilian football legend, Ronaldinho and his brother, Roberto Assis, have been released from prison in Paraguay.
He was released after serving 32 days despite facing a six-month sentence over alleged fake passports.
The Brazilian football legend is now placed in house arrest due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak which has claimed for more than 82000 lives worldwide.
The 40-year-old reportedly paid a £1.3million bond after he, along with his brother, were charged with entering the South American country with fake passports last month.
The former footballer and his brother said the documents were offered as a gift by a Brazilian businessman, Wilmondes Sousa Liria, who has been jailed.
Ronaldinho’s passport was seized in November 2018 because of a lawsuit over alleged environmental crimes.
Read Also: Xavi Names Only Player Greater Than Ronaldinho
However, while in prison, Ronaldinho participated in a 5-a-side tournament with other inmates and scored five goals, setting up six more as his side won 11-2, according to Paraguayan news outlet Hoy.
Anaedoonline.com reported that the former soccer star and his brother were taken in handcuffs to a courthouse in Paraguay on Saturday following their arrest for allegedly entering the country with falsified documents.
Prosecutors are seeking to extend the detention of 39-year-old Ronaldinho and brother Roberto Assis, while defense lawyer Sérgio Queiroz says they should be freed because they are not a threat or flight risk.
The Brazilian brothers were arrested Friday night in a hotel in Asunción, Paraguay’s capital, and accused of using false Paraguayan ID documents.
Queiroz had said Ronaldinho, the 2002 World Cup winner and former Barcelona star, was preparing to take a flight back to Rio de Janeiro, where he lives, shortly before the arrests.
The former footballer and his brother said the documents were offered as a gift by a Brazilian businessman, Wilmondes Sousa Liria, who has been jailed.
Ronaldinho’s passport was seized in November 2018 because of a lawsuit over alleged environmental crimes.
Authorities said the former Barcelona star did not have the necessary environmental license to build a fishing platform on the shores of the Guaiba river in his hometown of Porto Alegre. With unpaid damages of $2.1 million, Ronaldinho’s passport was seized, along with that of his brother, to prevent him from traveling.
In September of last year, however, the star reached a deal with prosecutors and got his documents back. It was not immediately clear why he and his brother did not use their Brazilian documents for the trip to Paraguay.
Follow us on Facebook
Post Disclaimer
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.